Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bass/Pike/Musky flybox

Musky and Pike and Bass, oh my!

This box came about in response to an experience which almost caused the wetness to be on the wrong side of my chest waders.

It was a Saturday morning around 11 AM, but it was far from a typical Saturday. I was at one of my favorite lakes and had waded maybe 100, 120 yards out into the water. This really wasn't unusual for me despite my love/hate affair with water. You see, I have these moments while I am wading in murky water when near anxiety grips me as I suddenly wonder what's below. I have to actually stop and calm my nerves when this occurs. (Remind me someday to explain how I think this got started originally.) This is a factor which lent itself to making what would be a funny experience for some into a spine-tingling experience for me.

It was a comfortable spring morning with the temperature hovering around 72 degrees F., and the sun was shining brightly. The water was as still as glass because there was virtually no wind at all. Most fishermen I know hate "glass" water, but to me it just means alter my tactics. My opinion on bad conditions is that since the fish can't pack up and leave the lake, they're still there and it becomes my job to make them bite. Period.

As I walked through the lake this day, the only sound was the water I was displacing as even the birds were strangely quiet. There were no people fishing this popular spot on a beautiful Saturday morning and that itself should've put my nerves on edge, but it didn't. There's a highway just over a mile from where I was and even the traffic that morning was surprisingly still. Put all these factors together: It's a sunny Saturday morning at about 11 on a popular fishing spot and no one was there, the birds aren't singing, the wind isn't blowing, the water is absolutely still and the only noise comes from me touching the water. Got it?

I don't know what you do on those days...some pray, some think out problems...others just watch the water. On this day I hadn't realized it but my mind had just emptied. I was lulled not into thoughtful contemplation, but just nothingness with not a thought in my head. I barely noticed as I repeatedly cast my size 10 Zug Bug, hooked and released Bluegills with such repitition that it didn't require me to pay much attention.

BOY what a mistake.

I didn't see a wake, I didn't see a shadow, I saw nothing until a Musky at least 36 inches in length (I've caught several of that size and I'm familiar with the length) and very heavy in the belly leapt into the air, completely clearing the water no more than four feet away from me and just to my right, splashing back into the water with the sound of a thunderous handclap!

I'll describe my reaction as this: delicately freaked out. With my heart pounding and my hands trembling I managed to bite off the Zug Bug and tie on a large popper in hopes of getting the toothy predator to hit, but after managing a few measly casts and a few pops I had to make my way to shore in order to let the nerves in my legs settle a bit.

I got in a bit more fishing that day but my embarassment pushed me to tie flies with which I could hopefully someday gain a measure of revenge. These were those first flies.



Left side left to right:
  • 2 flies I came up with in desiring a large but relatively lightweight fly to throw. They are Body Fur and Big Fly Fiber (with the idea this, like rope in a Gar fly, would help grab the teeth of the fish) with eyes added and Krystal Flash through the body. The brown one patterned to look like a Sucker, the other simply olive over white and they're tied on #2 streamer hooks
  • 2 Bucktail Golden Shiners also on #2 streamer hooks
  • 1 Bucktail and Peacock Shad also on #2 streamer hook
  • 2 Flatwing Alewives, tied on 2/0 saltwater hooks

Right side left to right
Top Row
  • 4 Polar Aire streamers, chartreuse over white with rainbow flash Angel Hair, tied on #2 4xL streamer hooks
  • 5 "Bassworms" made from hackle, rubber legs and rabbit hair, tied on #2 4xL streamer hooks

Bottom Row
A bunch of Polar Hair streamers in Alewife, Shad and Shiner patterns (with one Black Nosed Dace for variety:) ) all tied on a size 4 offset point, curved nymph hook because that's supposed to minimize fouling of the wing around the hook. Maybe it's my casting but they foul more than the streamers tied on the #2 streamer hooks.

No comments: