Thursday, February 26, 2009

My coffeefolia flowered!

So there I was happily watching television, enjoying the evening when I glanced over at my aquarium and thought "that Anubias looks very different tonight. I think I'll take a picture." So that's then I took this:


(The fish are Cardinal Tetras with an Albino Bristlenose catfish beneath)

A little less than 30 minutes later I looked again to see this:


I was excited because though this plant flowers often, for some reason the flowers never bloomed and just rotted at the stem after a couple of weeks at full height. This is the first time that a flower has actually opened on this plant in the 4 years I've had it. Much to my surprise it looked like this only an hour later:


I've never seen a flower open so quickly! 'Course, I can't say as I've ever watched from beginning to end so maybe I'm just last to the part here, but I thought it was really cool. Anubias barteri 'coffeefolia' is a great plant, very hardy and does well under minimal light. I have a single full length fluorescent over the tank (leaning toward Red spectrum 'cause it makes the Cardinal Tetras and the albino Bristlenose cats look really cool) and the substrate is flourite.

No comments: