Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hereford Manor lakes fishing restrictions lifted

I remember the very first time my big brother and I slept under the stars to welcome the opening day of trout season in Pennsylvania. I also remember that the temperature dropped rapidly and we decided it would be best to sleep in his car. Another irreplaceable memory of that next morning was waking to find that our minnow bucket had frozen into the water where it was sitting because the temps had dropped so low the night before!

My brother, one of only two fishing partners I've ever had, died 2 years ago, but I know that if he were still here he would have a strong reaction to the news I got today. That spot at which we shared not only that opening day memory but many other fishing memories, Hereford Manor lakes in Beaver County PA, will soon be completely drained because the dam that creates it (actually 2 lakes) has deteriorated beyond safety.

The fish and game commission will be lifting all regulatory limits on the fish in there in order to make as much use as possible of the bioload, and keep from wasting all that life.

Still, it's a sad notice for me, because my memories of that place are so good. We went there often for the trout season's opening day, and invariably I caught loads of...bass! Yup, opening day of trout season is always my best day of bass fishing, haha!

It was a good spot, and hopefully the money to make repairs and eventually refill the lakes will come through. If not, well...we have our memories.

No comments: