Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ever been scared by something out there? -conclusion

At that moment, a large (12-15pound) black object rose slowly from the water in front of me, and then after a moment of shock I realized what it was; I was staring at a huge Cormorant! I had no idea they'd come this far south from the place where I'd last heard they were becoming a nuisance, Lake Erie. There is a chance that it could have been a large black Loon, although I didn't see the tell-tale white or grey band around it's neck which most Loons I see have.

It looked at me and quickly took flight (why does everything run from me?) across the river, flapping hard to ascend more than a few inches above the water until it had traveled quite a few yards, when it finally attained full flight. At this point you're probably asking yourself why this would have scared me. Remember: it had been very quiet and I had not heard that bird enter that water. All I knew was that suddenly, less than eight feet away from me, a large black living thing was rising from the water before me.

Yeah, Blair Witch Project scared me, too.

Anyway, after the big bird flew out of sight and I picked up my lower jaw, I got out of the water to wait and see if this bird had any companions following. It didn't, so I got back to fishing, but the bites were done.

No problem. It was time to go to work anyway.

No comments: